IBPOC Women and the Arts: Thinking and exploring the ways towards increased inclusion in the Arts Sector
Call for Submissions from Artists
THE GATHERING has been a powerful, positive and supportive convening of arts practitioners geared towards sharing strategies in the engagement of Indigenous, racialized, deaf, disabled and mad, women and other historically-marginalized artists and communities; since it was initiated by CPAMO in Spring 2014. Given the convening’s success, The Gathering Fall 2019 IBPOC Women and the Arts will explore frameworks for understanding the potential of working toward with the further inclusion of IBPOC women in the Arts sector. Held over a day, the convening will feature showcase performances, plenary sessions and networking with artists and organizations asking the same questions about IBPOC visibility, inclusion and their intersections with artistic/organizational practices. Aimed at providing professional development, building organizational and artistic capacity, we aspire to enliven the many ways in which IBPOC women in positions of leadership can speak to many perspectives in the arts, and how these intersect with and provide public impact.
This Call for Submissions invites IBPOC artists to submit proposals for artistic showcases in such genres as dance, music, literature, theatre and visual arts. Submissions for dance and/or theatre performances should be for pieces no longer than 30 minutes and literary readings no more than 20 minutes.
What is the overall concept? The Gathering offers an interactive space where arts organizations, artists and attendees dedicated to advancing equity and pluralism in the arts in a community and socially engaged way can share dialogue on common purposes and strategies towards engagement.
Why are we doing it? We believe sectoral and systemic change are more effectively achieved through collective, creative action, and we seek to learn from everyone to understand how they are influenced and relate to these issues in and out of their artistic practice and administration.
What we hope to achieve? We hope that participants arrive at a better understanding of the many ways in which IBPOC communities support, create from and with, an understanding of multiple sources while shaping strategies specific to indigenous / ethno-racially identified artists.
Deadline: October 11, 2019
When & where is the event?
December 3rd, 2019
Location: TBC (Toronto, ON)
What we offer:
- Opportunity to display/showcase your work to a wide range of artists/ audience, publicity, copy of the performance. (No more than 20 minutes in length)
- Visual Arts submission MUST include:
- set up requirements and
- estimated time for set up and striking of work
- whether assistance is needed or included
- Compensation for Performances up to $1000 (based on the number of artists)
- Compensation for Literary Readings up to $200
- Compensation for Visual Artists will be based on CARFAC Fee Schedule for Group Exhibits
Required for consideration:
- A brief explanation of how your proposed work relates to the Gathering Fall 2019 Theme: “IBPOC Women and the Arts: Thinking and exploring the ways towards increased inclusion of in the Arts Sector”
- Works where the major contributors / artists or otherwise self-identify as IBPOC women
- Works created by IBPOC women
- Artist / Organization Website URL, Social Media Info
- Artist / Organization Biography 150 words
- Headshot / Company Image 300 dpi
- Links to previous work(s) or work proposed.
We particularly encourage submissions from women / trans-women.
- Artistic Merit and with overall connection to CPAMO’s mandate and objectives
- The Focus of the theme: IPOC Women and the Arts: Thinking and exploring the ways towards increased inclusion of in the Arts Sector
- Feasibility (Cost, number of artists proposed, range / breath / depth of work in the artistic form)
What should I put in the subject line?
“The Gathering Fall 2019: IBPOC Women and the Arts”. Please make sure to also include a link to your folder with required support material.
Where to send your submission? firstname.lastname@example.org
An important notice: CPAMO operates in a Cloud-based platform. Documents MUST be submitted via Google Drive, Box, One Drive, Dropbox etc.
Successful applicants will be notified Friday, October 21, 2019