JOB POSTING: Programmer (Film/Video + Installation + Live events)
The Images Festival, Toronto
Deadline: Friday 17 August 2012, 5:00 PM
The Images Festival, North America’s largest annual exhibitor of independent media art is seeking a Programmer of film and video works, installation projects and live performance events. The Programmer will work in a collaborative environment to plan and execute a successful 26th festival in April 2013 involving multiple exhibition sites, events and partners. The Programmer is responsible for executing a portion of programming, general assistance to the Artistic Director (AD), and activities related to catalogue production, artist relations, outreach and publicity while strengthening relationships with exhibition venues throughout the GTA. This hourly position is a mixture of part time and full time hours with flexible scheduling.
* Programming, in collaboration with the AD and Executive Director (ED) of screenings, gallery-based installation works, live performances and related events with presentation partners for the 2013 Images Festival;
* Writing curatorial statements, program descriptions and descriptions of individual works and assembling images, artist biographies and logos for festival catalogue production;
* Soliciting single channel film and video work from local, Canadian and international distributors, artists/directors/producers;
* Maintaining communication with participating artists, exhibition venues, and community partners: including arranging film rentals and negotiating fees with exhibiting artists and/or distributors, developing exhibition contracts, coordinating details for exhibition openings, receptions, parties and talks, gathering written information and photos as well as technical and logistical installation requirements and costs;
* Providing research assistance to the Artistic Director;
* Supervising Programming Intern/s;
* Ensuring submission information is entered into Images Festival database;
* Organizing and managing student screening jury;
* Working with the AD to manage print traffic: including booking films, videos, etc. from distributors and arranging shipping and brokerage prior to, during, and post-festival;
* Working collaboratively to develop and execute a publicity, promotional and
community/education outreach strategy for programmed works: includes servicing
media requests for materials and information and maintaining and adding to the Images Festival outreach database and making outreach presentations to schools and community groups;
* Managing all details of installing and de-installing installation works: includes equipment rental, transportation and installation, materials purchase and construction and coordination of volunteers;
* Assisting the AD to manage details of inspection, formatting and projection of film, video and digital file based works.
* Assisting the ED with Programming information for applications for funding;
* Preparing/overseeing detailed festival statistics in preparation for an annual final report;
* Arranging hospitality, travel, accommodation, and support for festival guests;
* Working with the AD to host guests during the festival: including facilitating connections between Canadian and international guest artists, exhibitors and curators;
* Informing artists and curators of the results of submissions + solicitations.
Necessary skills include:
* Highly organized, self-motivated, ability to multitask with many partners, work under pressure and strong ability to meet deadlines;
* Knowledge of the local, national and international independent media arts communities and the not-for-profit arts sector;
* Programming and/or curating experience with moving image arts;
* Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
* Familiarity with Macintosh computers and film, video, digital/new media production and presentation technologies;
* Ability to work in a cooperative environment with a commitment to cultural equity and non-discrimination.
The following will be considered assets:
* Background in media arts study and/or practice;
* Drivers license;
* Multilingual skills;
* Experience with event planning.
This is an 8-month position with of a combination of part-time and full-time hours from September 2012 to May 2013. The salary range is subject to confirmation of hours and commensurate with experience.
*Apply in writing noting in your cover letter where you saw this posting:
Hiring Committee, The Images Festival
401 Richmond Street West, Suite 448
Toronto, Ontario M5V 3A8 Canada
Email: email@example.com // facsimile:(416)971-7412
(Apply with “Programmer Application” in the Subject Line.
*PLEASE use RTF or PDF attachments only)
No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Deadline: Friday August 17, 2012, 5:00 PM
The Images Festival is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about the festival please visit our website at imagesfestival.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Images Festival is made possible thanks to generous operating support from the following public funders: The Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council and Telefilm Canada.