POET LAUREATE FOR THE CITY OF LONDON
The Poet Laureate (PL) will act as an ambassador for poetry, language and the arts; the PL will create a unique artistic legacy through public readings and civic interactions. The PL will attend a variety of civic functions and participate in public poetry events in London. The general mandate is to raise awareness of the arts in the everyday consciousness of Londoners.
Submissions are invited from literary artists who currently reside in the City of London, who have an established body of work, and who are recognized for their active participation and contribution to the literary arts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Creation of one original work of poetry that reflects or represents ideas and issues of importance to the London community
– Presenting works of significance at City of London events or official functions
– Participation in London Culture Days September 28-30, 2012Other opportunities will be developed in consultation with the selected artist
TERM: September 2012 – September 2013
COMMISSION: $2500 honorarium
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION:
– Must be a current resident of the City of London
– Must be a practicing literary artist
– Have produced work that demonstrates poetic flexibility (more than one style)Be personable, professional and engaging
– Have the ability to speak publicly to small – large audiences
SELECTION PROCESS:Submissions will be adjudicated by a jury administered by the London Arts Council. Candidates selected for consideration must provide a reading during the interview process.
EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Monday, August 20, 2012 by 4:00pm
Please Note: Submissions will only be accepted through the link provided. Mail, email, phone calls and walk-ins will not be accepted.
SUBMISSION FORM: http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/fcch357vmrkRGf0Q4yZ6bTzWC
HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTY?
If you encounter difficulty with submitting electronically please contact the London Arts Council at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those who submit, please be advised that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.