This is a part-time contract position with variable hours reporting to the Union’s Executive Director. Proposed start date: Late October/early November.
The Write Editor is responsible for:
- Coordinating and consulting with the Write Editorial Board on Write content and its creative direction. This includes participating in a planning meeting and sensitivity review of each issue.
- Commissioning articles by and for writers that reflect the diversity of Canadian writing and writers.
- Attending TWUC events as and when required.
- Composing, on occasion, some content, e.g., sidebars, coverlines, columns, In Memoriam, notices.
- Copy-editing, and delivering the complete content of WRITE magazine to the Production Editor by set deadlines.
- Working within a budget and adhering to production schedule deadlines.
- Offering input on layout, images, and cover design.
- Reviewing all content and final proofs prior to print.
The successful candidate will be a detailed, well-organized self-starter with strong communication skills and capable of working under pressure in a cooperative environment.
In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- Experience in both print and online magazine publishing and journalism.
- Familiarity with the TWUC member community.
- Knowledge of the book industry in Canada and the issues currently facing writers.
- The ability to collaborate, generate consensus, and work well in a team environment.
Interested individuals are invited to submit an application that includes:
- Cover letter
- CV/resume highlighting editorial experience
- Short portfolio of published magazine articles
In keeping with the Union’s Equity Policy, the Union encourages Indigenous, racialized, and LGBTQ2 persons, as well as individuals with disabilities or from marginalized and other underrepresented groups to submit their names. The Union is committed to reflecting the diversity of Canada through its Equity Policy and forthcoming Equity Implementation Plan.
To see a sample of Write magazine, please visit www.writersunion.ca/write-magazine-0.
Please send cover letter, resume, and portfolio to:
Siobhan O’Connor, Associate Director, The Writers’ Union of Canada at email@example.com. Only submissions by email will be accepted.
Deadline for Applications: Friday, October 13, 2017