JOB OPPORTUNITY: EQUITY & MEMBERSHIP OUTREACH COORDINATOR
The Writers’ Union of Canada is seeking an experienced equity professional to work in collaboration with Writers’ Union staff, National Council, and members to assist with the implementation of the Union’s Equity Implementation Plan including outreach to potential members.
In keeping with the Union’s Equity Policy, the Union encourages Indigenous, racialized, and LGBTQ2 persons, as well as individuals with disabilities or from marginalized and other underrepresented groups, to submit their names. The Union is committed to reflecting the diversity of Canada through its Equity Policy and forthcoming Equity Implementation Plan.
Working with staff and National Council:
- Assist with prioritizing and implementing the Union’s Equity Plan;
- Lead outreach to Indigenous, racialized, and other historically marginalized writing communities;
- Promote TWUC programs and services to Indigenous, racialized and other historically marginalized writing communities to build TWUC’s relationships with them;
- Initiate a campaign to raise public awareness in Canada of writers from diverse backgrounds, particularly from Indigenous, racialized, and other historically marginalized communities;
- Develop proactive opportunities to celebrate Canadian writers and TWUC that engage Indigenous, racialized, and other historically marginalized communities, such as an annual public education event/workshop and/or a youth forum;
- Provide input to staff, National Council, and TWUC Committees and Task Forces to ensure equity is prioritized;
- Assist in coordinating Indigenous and equity training for TWUC staff and National Council; develop educational materials for use by staff, National Council, committees, etc.;
- Work with staff to develop and implement equity priorities and policies in the Union’s programs and services;
- Communicate goals, activities, and achievements to members;
- Coordinate new-member recruitment with an emphasis on the Union’s Strategic Priority to increase and diversify the Union’s membership, and provide support to the Membership Committee; and
- Track outcomes of initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of equity implementation;
- Experience in the publishing sector or larger arts community;
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to facilitate discussion and build consensus;
- Clear, strong, and persuasive written and oral communication skills;
- Strong project management, prioritization, and time management skills;
- Experience in developing constructive working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with Indigeneity, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, deafness, sexual orientation, and/or other aspects of human diversity;
- Ability to work independently;
- Willingness to travel as required; and
- Excellent Microsoft office and database skills (experience with Sumac database would be an asset).
This is a full-time, one year contract positon with a possibility of renewal. This position is not open to members of The Writers’ Union of Canada.
Location: Downtown Toronto
Anticipated Start Date: January 2018.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will take place at the Union’s office in downtown Toronto in mid to late-November.
Salary range: $38,000 to $45,000
Please send cover letter and resume in a single PDF with the subject line “Equity & Membership Outreach Coordinator” to: Siobhan O’Connor, Associate Director, The Writers’ Union of Canada at email@example.com.
Only submissions by email will be accepted.
Deadline for Applications: November 17, 2017