Pluralism in Arts Practice: Contemporary Intersections
Requests for Participation
THE GATHERING has been a very powerful, positive and supportive process geared towards sharing strategies in the engagement of indigenous, racialized, deaf, disabled and mad, women and other historically-marginalized artists and communities since it was initiated by CPAMO in the spring of 2016. Given the convening’s success, The GATHERING | Pluralism in Arts Practices: Contemporary Intersections will explore frameworks for understanding contemporary expressions of indigenous, racialized, disabled and other marginalized identified art making and it’s intersections. Held over two days, featuring showcase performances, visual arts, and plenary sessions aimed at building organizational and artistic capacity, with the hope of enlivening community conversation in the arts.
What is the overall concept?
The Gathering offers an interactive space where arts organizations, artists and attendees dedicated to advancing pluralism in the arts can share dialogue on common purposes and strategies.
Why are we doing it?
We believe systemic change is more effectively achieved through collective, creative action, and seek to learn from everyone to understand how contemporary intersections in artistic practice shape divers Canadian cultural expressions.
What we hope to achieve?
We hope that everyone arrives at a better understanding of the many ways in which we support, create from and with an understanding of multiple sources as indigenous / ethno-racially identified artists leading to a heightened awareness of arts practices working in a pluralist lens.
When and Where?
May 30-31, 2018
Toronto, ON (venue TBA)
March 28, 2018
What we offer:
- Opportunity to display/showcase your work to a wide range of artists/ audience
- Publicity and a copy of the performance (no more than 20 minutes in length)
- Visual Arts pieces will be on display for a maximum of 1 week
- Compensation for performances up to $1,000 (based on number of artists)
- Compensation for visual artists will be based on CARFAC/RAAV Fee Schedule
- A brief explanation of how it relates to contemporary intersections in art-making
- Artist/organization biography (150 words)
- Links to previous work(s)
- Headshot/company logo (300 dpi)
- Website URL and social media information
How to Apply:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your email should include “The Gathering: Pluralism in Arts Practice RFP” in the subject line and have a link to your folder with the required application items.
- Documents MUST be submitted over email via online platform e.g. Google Drive, Box, One Drive, Dropbox or similar service.
- CPAMO operates in a cloud based platform – all submission must be by email using an online platform.
- Extended Deadline: March 28, 2018
Administered by the Board of CPAMO, the Program Manager under guidance of the Executive Director, and CPAMO Pluralism in Organizational Change (CPAMOPOC) members, the selection committee will consider the following:
- Artistic Merit and with overall connection to CPAMO’s mandate and objectives
- The Focus of the theme of the convening “Contemporary Intersections in the Arts”
- Feasibility (cost, number of artists proposed, range / breath / depth of work in the artistic form)
Successful applicants will be informed in April 2018.