Arts Administration Internship and Mentorship
Lua Shayenne Dance Company
Start Date: October 2018 (1 year)
Salary: Two interns to be hired at $10,000 each
Do you have a passion for the arts, African dance and an entrepreneurial spirit? Lua
Shayenne Dance Company (LSDC) is seeking two self-directed, enthusiastic and
highly motivated individuals looking to increase their skills and knowledge in arts
management to join us!
This internship/mentorship is designed for two emerging arts administrators of
African descent to fill the gap of visible minorities working in administrative roles in
dance in Canada.
Lua Shayenne Dance Company (LSDC) is a charitable not-for-profit dance company
whose work delves into the physical investigation of neo-traditional and
contemporary African dance forms and mirrors its African-Canadian social and
The Interns will report directly to the Artistic Director working closely to complete all
aspects of the position. The successful candidates will be self-starters and work with
the Artistic Director to produce all materials on behalf of LSDC, maintaining company
records and files. The Interns will provide support to the Artistic Director for all
company activities. The candidates will work out of Dance Umbrella of Ontario’s
(DUO) offices and off-site. The successful candidates will receive training and
mentorship from the staff at Dance Umbrella of Ontario and the Artistic Director.
The Interns will work with the Artistic Director to deliver all company programs,
performances, outreach and educations activities.
The successful candidates will execute the following:
– Coordinate performers’ rehearsal and manage shows’ schedule and the
contracting process for all artists and vendors
– Write or contribute to publications which accompany LSDC’s artistic events
and community projects
– Research and book performance opportunities including; private/local events,
festivals, presenters and touring in Canada and abroad options
– Assist with fundraising efforts
– Assist with writing and submitting grant and foundation applications and final
– Assist with the operating budget; tracking expenses and revenues
– Providing general administration support to the AD
Experience in project and events management, including, budgets, government
funding and reporting
– Excellent computer and typing skills and knowledge of software programs
including; Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel).
– Post-secondary education (college or university).
– Experience in arts administration
– Competency in French is an asset
LSDC is looking for individuals with strong interpersonal, organizational and
communication skills, the ability to take initiative, be proactive, work independently
and with a team, and meet all deadlines.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a cover letter with references to
Please ensure the email subject line reads – Arts Administration Internship and
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Those selected will be
contacted within one week of the submission deadline. No phone calls, please.
Deadline to submit an application is 5pm on Tuesday, September 4, 2018.